Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Not Exactly What I Planned

Yesterday was spectacular. After 8 power-packed hours of sleep, I arose with the sun promptly at 6:00am. I happily swung my feet to the ground and stretched to welcome in the day. A faint aroma of coffee tickled my nose and I realized the nanny must have gotten up early.

I reached for my Bible and bounced down the stairs to continue my Bible study homework for two weeks from now. While on my way out to the covered deck in the backyard, I waved to the nanny who was busily preparing a breakfast packed with my daily requirement of protein and fiber.

After completing three days worth of homework, I moseyed back into the house and heard a faint giggle coming from the handset of the baby monitor. I entered Kallie's room and was greeted with a big smile as I plucked her from her crib. Being that it was 8am and she had slept for 10 hours, I quickly changed her diaper and clothes as she was most certainly starving. I nursed her for 45 quick minutes and we headed down to join My Babe for breakfast.

Feeling satisfied, we changed for our morning jog and placed a smiling Kallie into her jogging stroller. Deciding to take it easy, we ran a few 8 minute miles and ended at the neighborhood pool to cool down with a few laps. Kallie's nap was quickly approaching, so we ran race pace back to the house for a quick session of tummy time. After the daily 20 minute requirement, tummy time ended pleasantly and our next nursing session was successful.

By this time it was 10:45am and time for Kallie's nap. With a kiss on the forehead, she smiled and closed her eyes, already in REM sleep. My Babe got ready for his shift at the firestation while I did a little yoga to clear my mind from the busy morning and prepare for our daily trip to the library. Just as he was walking out the door admiring the rainbow majestically spanning in the east, the station called and gave him the shift off as they didn't anticipate any medical or fire calls within the next 24 hours. While Kallie was napping for three solid hours, I was able to take a nap, return emails, organize closets, soak in the bath, remind the nanny to vacuum and mop, and take a ride on my unicorn through fields of hearts and flowers.

Ha.

In all actuality, as I'm sure you've figured out by now, the day stunk. Our exercise plans were unsuccessful since we woke up too late and My Babe had to leave for his shift, we were out of my favorite bagels and milk, and I never made it to the library as planned or completed any of my (non-mandatory) Bible study homework that I am behind on. I put Kallie down for her nap at 10:45am and at 2:00pm I stopped trying to fight her on it, put her in her papasan chair and took a shower, at which time she fell into a deep sleep. At 2:30pm I was forced to wake her in order to nurse and pump before leaving the house at 3:30pm. The rest of the afternoon was not too bad, although I wasted 1.5 hours at the mall waiting to get my new glasses only to discover they wouldn't be able to have them ready until next week. After putting Kallie to bed at 9:45pm, I started this here post and promptly fell asleep old school, pre-baby style with all lights and clothes on, teeth unbrushed and face unwashed until 4:45am. I didn't even feed the dog (first time in 13 years) or finish my cookies and cream milkshake. Now, that makes for a bad day.

Good news? I still love every single bit of motherhood. And, today was a much better day.

6 comments:

The Nanny said...

Hoo, girl, that was some fierce dreaming you were doing--I don't know of ANY nannies who will vacuum and mop, let alone cook for the parents! ;-) But I am glad yesterday was better.

mbc said...

I was reading thinking, "this is fiction, this is fiction." I'm so glad you don't have it together that well just yet. Soon....very soon. Love you.

Boyz3Mommy said...

I don't think I've laughed that hard in quite some time. I may have tee'd my pants a teeny bit. Did I just see Missy say you would have it together soon? Good night nurse. I have three boys and sorta like to think I know how to "work it out" and I would proudly like to admit that I don't have a darn bit of anything "together" yet.

Monica H said...

And I was just thinking: that's some nanny you got there! until I got to the point about the majestic rainbow bit.

I hope this becomes a reality :-)

Anonymous said...

You are one of the few people in the world who can make me bust out laughing with your writing. You are such a hoot!

You know, you inspire me to be thankful for motherhood...even on the days that stink.

Mrs. Collins said...

While I'm thankful for Andy and I love him fiercely, I'm not loving every minute of it. In fact, motherhood has been a struggle for me. I built up in my head how wonderful it was going to be. My dreams were a lot like what you described. I know I was naive, but I really thought that Andy would sorta, "fit" into our lives. When the reality of motherhood did not match my expectations, I was devastated. I'm only now starting to adjust. I wouldn't trade Andy for all the gold in the world.. but this motherhood thing.. it's pretty hard.