Monday, June 9, 2008

In Which I Discuss My Mammary Glands

Because I always have the interests of my reader in mind, ya know.

I've had a revelation.

I've discovered that for 32 years I have had the wrong definition of the word "hurt". The online dictionary describes "hurt" as the following: to damage or decrease the efficiency of (a material object) by striking, rough use, improper care, etc. OR to feel or suffer bodily or mental pain or distress.

Somehow, I thought I understood what that meant, and breastfeeding seems to fall under that category. However, six weeks into breastfeeding leads me to believe that I don't. I often hear, "Oh, it takes 2 weeks...3 weeks...6 weeks for it to not 'hurt'." What, pray tell, does the word "hurt" mean to these people? Because, obviously, we have differing opinions on the subject.

I'm far from quitting this thing, though. You see, I'm just a little bit stubborn - I like to call it determined. And, my body is thinking of this as a full blown challenge, like a Triple Dog Dare, in which I won't go down without a fight. I've endured countless blisters (STILL.), cracks, bleeds, creases, pinches, plugged ducts, and fought off mastitis. I pump and feed regularly and have since she was born, I've used every cream possible over the counter and prescription, given bottles to give myself a break and time to heal, and I've tried those darn shields. I've seen and talked with the best lactation consultant numerous times. In fact, each time I see her I have the overwhelming urge to kiss her when I leave because I always feel so much better. I assure you, Kallie has a good latch. She isn't picky about breast or bottle (she weighs 10 pounds now!), she just wants to eat, by goodness. The lactation consultant says she has never seen a baby pinch like Kallie does. Awesome.

If it weren't for My Babe's overwhelming support, I would have quit this thing long ago. So, pray for my mammary glands and that they make it out alive because this war is just beginning. I won't go down easy. I'm stubborn determined. Did you forget?

4 comments:

Boyz3Mommy said...

Bless your pea-pickin' heart. I never didn't hurt with Fisher. I breast-fed him for 12 weeks. I never didn't hurt with Sullivan - I only lasted 6 weeks with him. I breast-fed Eli for 4 months and FINALLY was beginning not to hurt, only to return to work and have to give it up because it just "wasn't convenient" anymore. You can do it, you can do it!! But goshdurn, may it stop hurting for you soon!!

mbc said...

Keep it up honey, you're doing great. May it stop being so painful RIGHT NOW!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. Nobody told me how hard breastfeeding would be. I thought that if uneducated women had been doing for centuries, it couldn't be that hard. I was wrong. It hurts like anything.
I am sorry you are having a hard time. The wonderful bonding experience that breastfeeding is made out to be is really hard to enjoy when you are in pain at every feeding.
I hope the pain stops soon!

Anonymous said...

I know you're tough and stubborn, er, I mean determined....I'll pray that your mammary glands would be the same way!