Monday, June 9, 2008

Normal.



6 weeks is a beautiful age. I feel like we haven't even skipped a beat in our lives. Sure, the first few weeks were challenging (to say the least!), but things are back to normal...just at a little slower pace...which is more than welcomed around here.

We're pretty "on the go", so it's nice to be home more. However, Kallie is quickly becoming a World Class Austin Traveler. She's been on walks through Zilker Park, to stores and restaurants, to her first outdoor concert, and she has sat along the shores of Town Lake. We can't wait to start taking her in the bike trailer, to Barton Springs, and to as many outdoor activities as possible. Thanks to my amazing Babe, mother and mother-in-law, I've been able to go to lunch and dinner with friends, to get a pedicure, to run errands with just My Babe, as well as go on a pizza date with him. To me, showing your children that you have a life outside of them is one of the best gifts you can give. My next challenge is to hit the gym to my beloved Body Flow class.

And, remember all that talk about being afraid of how parenting would change my marriage? It did change. For the better, in fact. Of course, I can only speak for my marriage, but it was nothing like I thought. The transition was so surprisingly smooth and only made it stronger. I think there is something to be said for marriages that struggle through loss after loss, hope, pray, and wish for a baby for so many years. It's a lot easier to not take things for granted.

It's so nice to feel and be normal again.

8 comments:

mbc said...

Wonderful post. I was going to ask you to post this very picture. It's perfect.

Love you!

mbc said...

I'm SO proud of you!! It was hard for me to adjust and you are staying out and active--and that makes you a better Mommy!!

LL said...

Amen girl. Just like your blog says The Lord Has Promised Good To Me. All things work together for those that love the Lord. All things. He didn't say some, he said ALL. God is good all of the time. Amen.

LL said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you. Although you wouldn't even believe me now even if you knew it was true, you will get over and forget the tremendous pain. I had candia for all of my breastfeeding years and my ninies have healed and the pain is a distant memory. I still remember it hurt (just like labor) but it has become a metaphor for all of the sacrifices we make for our children. Now one of my ultimate sacrifices is giving up my "I am so tired, don't even talk to me" moments to read books with my babies at night long after my bedtime (cause I am no night person, even though I had to be when they didn't sleep all night for what seemed like years). I LOVE you and the baby and your babe.

Anonymous said...

Amen to everything LL said!

So proud of you and happy for you!

~K

Monica H said...

I hope the same thing goes for me too in my marriage. I think part of the reason Mr. H has been so afraid of trying again is because he doesn't want to chance our marriage. As you know, it is mo emotionally trying and our marriage has suffered at times but I don't think things could be stronger than they are at the moment. Thanks for the extra hope.

Ann said...

You know, I've read other blogs in which people talk about how having a baby was a strain on their marriage, but I think about how much M and I have been through so far, and how incredibly enthusiastic M has been so far about taking on his fair share of baby responsibilities (when we got a dog in January, he was initially worried he would eventually get relegated to dog duty while I took on the baby stuff), and I sincerely believe having a baby will strengthen our marriage, just it is doing to yours. Way to go!

Polly Gamwich said...

I'm glad to hear that things do get back to normal. I'm hoping and praying for "normal" again someday.

Thanks for both of your blogs,
Polly