Thursday, July 24, 2008

And So It Begins.

I picked up the key to my classroom today. I did not enter the classroom because that would just be way too ambitious, now wouldn't it? This time of year is something that I dread. Getting back into the swing of school after being off for so long is no easy task, and this year will most likely be one of the most difficult starts yet. I am more than ecstatic that My Babe and my mom will be the caretakers for Kallie while I am off teaching young minds about the alphabet, but in my heart of hearts I'd much rather be at home. I've prepared myself for this moment of continuous work for years now, but I still can't find it in my body to be completely okay with it. I want desperately to be okay with it, because quite frankly, there is nothing I can do about it right now. Someday we will be in a better financial position to rethink this working thing, or at least to find something that will give me a little more flexibility. But, the reality of today is that school will start and I will be there for it. I must begin setting up my classroom already. It's gone so fast and I feel her little babyhood already slipping away. I'm so happy to have had the summer to spend all day long with this



and this



and this.

5 comments:

The Nanny said...

She is just gorgeous. Her eyelashes in the 2nd picture are to die for--so beautiful!

I'm definitely wishing you good luck and an easy transition (and conscience) through this whole thing!

Anonymous said...

I wish you could stay home with her too. I hope the transition back to work is easier than you think. It'll just make your time with her that much more special.

Her eye lashes are so dark and thick- she's so beautiful. Every time I see her I try to figure out who she looks like. I think in these pics, she looks like your husband.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you have to go back to work. I am very happy for you that Kallie will be with your mom and husband. It is going to be so hard for you. BUT, think of the awesome time she is going to get to spend with her dad. Most kids don't get to spend much time with their dads. And, the holidays will be here before you know it. And, you CAN call in sick if you need to spend the day with her.

Monica H said...

I was thinking...is it possible for you to work part-time?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am so glad that you had Kallie when you did because the timing enabled you to have the longest time that you could have with her and still be a teacher. (The 6 weeks of maternity + the summer.)

Knowing you, I'm sure your heart will be at home this year, and it's going to be a true challenge to go back to work. I also know, though, that in the past, you went to work even when your heart was completely broken and even when you were spending lots of time saying "hello" to the toilet with morning sickness. So, I know you will make it. And you will have a chubby-cheeked cutie waiting to snuggle with you every afternoon.